Where would YOUR one click go?

I know there’s no blanket answer to this question, but I have to ask:

When your name is hyperlinked where do you want it to go?

While composing blogs and articles for e-newsletters sometimes we mention members by name. When this happens, I like to insert a hyperlink so readers can contact or find more information on the quoted or mentioned member; BUT, choosing which hyperlink can be a bit confusing and up until now I’ve used the eanie-meanie… method. The great thing about VAR members is they are EVERYWHERE online, but when you’re quoting or mentioning them how do you decide where the links should go? You tell me.

Active rain page? Facebook profile? Personal Website? Myspace? Broker’s site? Youtube? or Do you like being linked to at all? If you had a choice, where would the one click attached to your name go?
-Jovan

About Andrew Kantor

Andrew is VAR's editor and information manager, and -- lessee now -- a former reporter for the Roanoke Times, former technology columnist for USA Today, and a former magazine editor for a bunch of places. He hails from New York with stops in Connecticut, New Jersey, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Roanoke.

9 Responses to Where would YOUR one click go?

1. Brian Block says:

Just one click? Is that like your one phone call from prison? I would want my click to go to my personal real estate blog.

I agree with Brian, I’d want it to go to my blog.

3. Scott Brunner says:

Goodness, Brian…We had no idea you were in prison. Perhaps we should reevaluate your suitability for VAR membership? ;-)

4. jduncan says:

I have to say that my blog is where I want my “one click” to go. -Better yet, an “about” page that also includes, in a format that is not intimidating to the uninitiated but clear to those who “get it” a page with my LinkedIn, Twitter, Plaxo, etc. etc. etc

5. James Boyer says:

I would send them to the main blog of the person or to the contact page of their website.

6. Tony Arko says:

I would want my click to go to the google search results for my name. Nothing to hide and my expertise reiterated by the number one search engine.
    Although it is not a very pretty address, it is effective.

7. Depends on what I wrote and whether it’ll get me in trouble…maybe I could just link to Jim D.

I would say either my personal real estate blog or my LinkedIn profile depending on the situation.

8. Jay says:

You guys are funny! With all the twitter, linkedin & plaxo talk I feel so far behind.

9. Jovan Hackley says:

Scott, Does it say anywhere members can’t be active from jail? ;-)

Jay, you’re not far behind, just a few clicks away.

All, I’m starting to think there should be some central place for members to specify a preferred web address.