The buzz about Real Estate BarCamp Virginia

Tech-savvy Realtors (and curious Realtors who wanted to learn from the tech-savvy ones) from all over the country converged on the Fredericksburg Area Association of Realtors office for Real Estate BarCamp Virginia. Despite the snow that threatened to freeze us out, here’s how we fared:

• 67 attendees
  • from Virginia, D.C., Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, Illinois, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Colorado and California
  • five hours of social media training
  • dozens of blogs, Twitter accounts, Facebook profiles, and LinkedIn accounts created in a guided computer lab environment
  • hundreds of new business contacts made

What began as a humble gathering of real estate bloggers at VAR’s Convention & Expo 2007 at the Williamsburg Lodge (known then as BloggerCon) has steadily emerged into the real estate industry’s longest-running and one of the most well-known series of learner-led programs for using social media in real estate. VAR is known across the country as being a leader in this arena. And as Virginia Realtors, you benefit.

One of the day’s highlights was the first official visit to any gathering of Realtors from NAR’s new social media manager, Todd Carptenter. Todd took questions from those in the room and around the country (via The Real Estate Zebra Show – watch it here, but starts off slow: fast forward to about 4 minutes) who were excited to be the first to hear from Todd about his plans for NAR’s social media initiatives. Of course, we were honored to have been chosen to host Todd’s first official visit.

Attendees were also treated to sessions led by real estate technology, marketing, social media and research experts from all over.

But the best part about Real Estate BarCamp is the peer to peer learning. And really, that’s what the event is all about.

Attached to the main meeting room was a slightly detached area (which became known as the peanut gallery), where attendees could talk with each other about the presentations that were going on without interrupting those in the main room. Some of the best learning went on during those informal discussions, where one Realtor could show another one a twist on something the speaker was demonstrating, or show her neighbor an alternative to the service being talked about.

If you’d like to see more content from the event, check out these links:

Hope to see you at an RE BarCamp Virginia in the future! There are preliminary plans for events in the DC area and Lynchburg this fall. Stay tuned for details!

21 Responses to The buzz about Real Estate BarCamp Virginia

1. Candy Lynn says:

The best one yet! Something for everyone from beginners in Social Media to advanced. Thank you FAAR for letting us INVADE your wonderful space! Great job to all the organizers …. see you all in Lynchburg!

2. Wow! The opportunity to have your questioned answered in more than 140 characters was awesome. Seriously, all jokes aside, this event was totally inspirational. Great folks who really think outside the box. I am going to be at everyone of these kinds of events possible.

3. This was truly an amazing experience! I loved reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones! I learned so much from so many. Thanks FAAR and VAR for bringing this incredible colaboration of social media fanatics to Fredericksburg!

4. Matt Wilkins says:

Words cannot described just how AWESOME this event was. The format lends itself to an open exchange of ideas and the contacts/conversation that occurred will be talked (and tweeted) about for a while.

5. Watched live stream over the internet, Dakno definitely had the hardware to get the job done. Learned a few good tips that I have already put to use.Nicely done.

6. Julie Emery says:

So much great sharing! So many great, actionable ideas to take back and use in my business. And lots of much needed laughs! I can’t wait to do it again!

7. Bob Carney says:

Ben, Amazing job!!! Matt, Sarah, Heather and I am sure I am missing some of the other behind the scene contributors. You really put on the best one yet. FAAR has an outstanding office, one to be envied by others. VAR is by far one of the best of the local leaders in the advancement of REALTORs via social media. DC and MAR have a lot of catching up to do.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your success!

8. Derek Massey says:

My first event of this type, and can see why there is so much hype surrounding RE Bar Camps. There is a balancing act between presentation and discussion, and this event blends the two like few other venues I’ve been part of. My company and I were thrilled to be a part of this, and would certainly do it again.

9. Monika says:

We drove 9 hours one way to attend REBCVA and it was worth every minute of that drive! I really enjoyed my 1st ReBarCamp and heard from many people in attendance that this was one of the best! Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it.:)

10. Ben, Thanks so much for holding REBCVA in Fredericksburg. I met great people and learned so much that I can apply to my business. I appreciate VAR and FAAR and all the work that went in to putting on this awesome event!

11. It was my first, wont be my last. I am so impressed by all the work that you all did to put this together. Fun to meet people IRL. Kudos to all of you. Thanks again.

12. Ann Cummings says:

If anyone gets the opportunity to attend an REBarCamp, go! This was a terrific opportunity to network and pick up some great ideas to put to work in your business right away. I loved meeting people in real life that I’d been conversing with for quite some time.

Many thanks to all who put this together – your efforts and time really paid off tremendously. All I heard was awesome feedback – great job by all!

I was thrilled to be a part of this REBCVA!!

13. Loved VA REBar Camp. I learned more in a few hours with actual practitioners and like minded RE learners than in any CE class or “so called” workshops and seminars put on by self-proclaimed gurus. All hail VA REBar Camp.

14. Hats off to Ben, Matt, Matthew and the rest of the gang (volunteers included). REBarCamp Virginia epitomized the “giving spirit” of RE.net. What a great venue to learn and teach. It was a real pleasure to meet so many awesome people and get reacquainted with many old friends. The comments Brad (@dakno) and I (@rewebcoach) received during the live video stream were so encouraging.

Ben, we will let you know the moment the archived REBarCamp VA video is available at our Dakno.com website.

Until next time,
    Bobby

15. The minute Monika said can we make it to Fredricksburg, VA in a day I said yes, what for? She then said, RE BAR Camp, Virginia style. Right then and there I knew this was a can’t miss educational opportunity you just can’t get anywhere near us. It was well worth the 9 hour drive.

Having read blogs and interacted with a lot of the attendees and speakers at REBCVA online it just doesn’t get any better than meeting these people in real life.

Just when you think you have a handle on a lot of what’s going on in the Real Estate Web 2.0 frontier there is always someone else out there that will teach you something new.

It is this type of opportunity that just can’t be missed. I hear there is an REBC Lynchburg, VA coming up and if you didn’t make this one you are foolish for not attending Lynchburg.

Depending on when they have it you just might see us again.

A BIG heartfelt thank you to Ben Martin, Matt Rathbun, Matt Wilkins and the FAAR staff for putting on an excellent RE Bar Camp.

Another thank you goes out to Sarah Stelmok for a great tour of Fredricksburg right after the snowstorm. She made us feel right at home driving us around on the snow covered streets.

16. Thanks for a great rebarcamp. We had a blast. I finally got a free moment to upload the videos from REBCVA. You can view all the sessions at http://www.dakno.tv

Thanks again!

17. Sounded like a great event. I was not able to attend….

Had a good reason (at least I think so)…

However seeing some of the video was fantastic!

Great work all

18. Hi,
    I am so impressed by all the work that you all did to put this together. Fun to meet people IRL.I learned so much from so many. Thanks FAAR and VAR for bringing this incredible colaboration of social media fanatics to Fredericksburg ! …………… :)

19. Dave says:

20. Tina Merritt says:

REBarCamp rocked and was the best Bar Camp yet! The event definitely showcased the RE.net’s “unselfish sharing of information” and FAAR provided a great venue for this Bar Camp! Thank you to Ben, Matthew, Matt and all the volunteers who pulled together to make this happen!

21. Had a great time sitting in the back with all the “troublemakers”.

And has anyone seen our waiter?