Auto-tweet your listings with TweetLister.com

It’s kinda like a real estate-specific version of TweetLater, and it’s called TweetLister.com.

Basically, you sign into TweetLister with your Twitter account and enter a bunch of standard information about your listing:

• Address
  • Type of property
  • Beds/Baths
  • Square feet
  • Asking price
  • URL with more information

Then, you tell TweetLister how often to send a Twitter post about the listing.  You can select daily, weekly or monthly.

TweetLister generates a page describing the property, and sends the tweet, including a shortened Web address, for you at the interval you requested, linking back to the page TweetLister generates.

That’s the good.

Here’s the bad: For one thing, any time there’s a change to the listing details (i.e. price change, sold status) you have to remember to go back to TweetLister and change the information. Fortunately, TweetLister gives you From and To dates, so you can tell it to stop tweeting your listing after some time to avoid continually advertising a sold property. This is a potential liability for agents in Virginia, so be careful. Integration with Postlets, VFlyer or similar would be very helpful.

Also, there is no place in the TweetLister interface for you to identify yourself as the listing agent and make your required disclosures. Another potential liability.

Finally, as stated at MyTechOpinion, TweetLister hardly gives its users any way to customize the content of the Twitter post that it generates. Of course, you could just grab the short URL that TweetLister generates and tweet it with your own spin.

And we haven’t even gotten into the whole Twitter as a conversation/etiquette/karma thing. Depending on their social media style, experienced Twitter users would probably agree that TweetLister creates some potential issues.

So, TweetLister could be of use to Virginia Realtors, many of whom are Twitter-savvy, but given the potential pitfalls (and as with any online advertising of listings), tweeter beware!

17 Responses to Auto-tweet your listings with TweetLister.com

1. ….sigh… please don’t… really, I don’t care about your listings on Twitter. Even if I were a consumer, I wouldn’t want to be bombarded with your “New listing Commercials” in between my conversation and useful information sharing.

2. It really was just a matter of time until one of these popped up

Spam.

and luckily, I can chose to unfollow. :)

4. Amy Webb says:

Anybody who bothers with this has missed to point of Twitter completely and deserves to be “blocked” by all.

5. David Remner says:

If I’m a real estate broker, and I say I’m a real estate broker in my Twitter profile, and people choose to follow me – how can you say that my real estate listings are spam? If I’m tweeting about my preference in coffee, or what I did over the weekend with my kids, then THAT’s spam. If that’s what Twitter is all about — sharing useless, bothersome, random blurts about myself — then you can count me out. If you read up on the direction that Twitter itself is taking, you’ll see it’s becoming more of a search engine — where people can seek and find the info they want, in real time. So the whole “following” concept, where thousands of people potentially get and ignore other people’s off-the-cuff comments about anything and everything, is going by the wayside. Twitter is actually morphing into a tool for finding information you find useful — whether that’s a real estate listing, or a job posting, or whatever. So tools like TweetLister are on the cutting edge. Bravo for that!

6. David,

I can’t speak for everyone else, but here’s my demarcation. If I want MLS data, I go to an agent’s IDX site. If I want to share with a community mutually interesting information I’ll hang at Twitter. To me it’s what I go to the service for. Ready Tara Hunt’s book on Wuffie or most anything by Seth Godin and you’ll see there is a right and wrong way to engage others. I really haven’t seen anyone say “Yeah, send me your Amway product on Twitter” but I’ve seen overwhelming posts and twitters about NOT wanting products pitched on FB and Twitter.

I guess I don’t see Twitter going the direction you do. If it does, I’ll find another service.

Just my opinion….

7. Amy Webb says:

Agree with Matt.

Twitter is absolutely not meant for direct advertising of your products and services and if it trends that way, it jumps the shark.

I represent myself as a Realtor ( among other things) on Twitter but it does not necessarily follow (pardon the pun) that those following me are there to find a home. In fact I’m pretty sure my “followers” – many of whom are colleagues and/or live happily in other parts of the world – are positively NOT interested in reading tweets abut my real estate listings.

It is also incorrect to infer that, in the absence of a “listings feed” , the only thing left to tweet about is “useless, bothersome, random blurts”. It does take time to get the hang of twitter, appreciate its value and learn to engage, but it is not simply ” having a cup of coffee” or ” time to go for a run”. There is substance in the chatter and reward in the effort.

8. David Remner says:

I think the great thing about Twitter is that is has different uses for different people. For every broker that doesn’t think real estate listings have a place on Twitter, there’s one who does. Case and point: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%22for+sale%22+house+1br+OR+2br+OR+3br+OR+4br

9. if somebody tweeted a listing once or twice… honestly I probably wouldn’t care as long as they uphold a conversation. But it might deter some people (ok pretty much everyone) if that’s all you tweet and it get’s repetitive.

i would venture to say that a lot of people on twitter are some what smart/web savvy (although I have been wrong before), they will find you and remember you if you are in real estate. believe me, you would be surprised at how many connections I have made and remember what industry they are in.

if someone is worried about twitter as a search, maybe create a second twitter account based around listing promotions… just a thought

and as always like Jim said, just click the unfollow button

10. Drew Fristoe says:

I hope people do not do this. Twitter is not the place for this. If I want to look at your listings I can go to your personal website, the MLS and many more websites. Lets not ruin Twitter, please leave it the way it is.

11. Amy Webb says:

David
    I clicked through on the Twitter search you reference above and scrolled down three pages: every one of those tweets about a home listing came from tweetlister, the product featured in this thread.. so it seems to me there are not a lot of Realtors who were tweeting their listing independently prior to the intro of this product.

12. David Remner says:

Amy,

I posted that search link to indicate other brokers are def. using the tweetlister service. But try this search then: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=posted%3A+%22for+sale%22+house

I don’t see any listings from tweetlister, only page after page from other services doing similar things, and directly from brokers. So I think brokers have been posting listings on Twitter for a long time now. I think Twitter is actually filled with people trying to selling something or get you to go to their website. After all, that’s all that information sharing really is…selling a link to someone so they click on it, and at the other end, someone is benefiting from the traffic. It might not be me or you, but it’s certainly at our expense in terms of time spent (and or wasted.)

When I look at my timeline, I see a bunch of useless messages with loads of links from 100s of people…at any time of the day. I can’t see how every 2 days, amidst the 100s or 1000s of other tweets my followers see in their daily timeline, how a friendly listing I post, whether using a service to do it or posting directly, is really going to offend anyone. If I was offended by what was in my daily timeline, I’d have to unfollow 99% of my followers, like the majority of high-follower count Twitter users. To do so is simply to time consuming for me to bother with. Instead, I use 3rd party tools to filter out most of the garbage. Similar to having a spam box in email.

In the end, if done smartly, posting listings can be a valuable thing…using a 3rd party service or not, I think you’ll see this becomes more and more the norm.

13. Amy Webb says:

Thanks for the clarification on the search David. I would not argue with you that Twitter may go in the direction of more advertising, but I cannot agree with you that this is a good thing. The value many of us find in Twitter has nothing to do with buying and selling, so that is a shame if that is how it evolves…but I am sure something else will come along to fill the niche! In fact I am pretty sure Google Wave is that something…

14. David Remner says:

Amy – I would agree that it would be great if Twitter had nothing to do with buying and selling, and it stayed true as a social blogging/micro-blogging platform in which one could truly network with others. Unfortunately, I think based on all the current buzz on Twitter, spam appears to be a huge problem across the board. And on that level, a listing posted from a realtor is at least relevant in the sense that you’re not posting something about coffee…and thus is a lot better than spam.

But Twitter has to go through it’s evolution as we as well have to evolve through these things as well. And as you point out, Google Wave is going to be a really cool tool for communication and collaboration. http://wave.google.com/ for those who haven’t seen.

15. Linda Davis says:

If I were a consumer following a real estate agent, I don’t think I’d have a problem with a tweeted listing as long as it is not overdone and it is just a part of their twitter stream. If I were a consumer following a real estate agent and they never talked about real estate, I’d wonder if they did any business.

I follow Southwest Airlines to learn about specials, fares, and items of interest to Southwest travelers, not to know what they had for breakfast. I enjoy hearing about the personal stuff but it is not why I follow them.

16. Brian Block says:

What DID Southwest Airlines have for breakfast?

I had a bowl of cereal, green tea, and some delicious home-baked banana bread.

17. Linda Davis says:

Brian – You just had to ask. Southwest had wings for breakfast. Ditty Boom.