Who owns second homes?
02 Oct 2012
Posted by Andrew Kantor, Editor & Blogmaster 
The Pew Research Center has a nifty chart about what kinds of people own a second property (i.e., have “any real estate holdings, such as a second home or investment property, apart from the place where they now live”).
Some of the results are interesting:
- 24% of homeowners say they own a second home
- If that primary residence is worth $500,000 or more, that number jumps to 40%
- 6% of renters also own property (but don’t live in it)
- 36% of families earning $100,000 or more report having a second home
- So do 6% of families earning less than $30,000
- Urbanites are less likely to own a second home — only 13% do
- Region doesn’t matter — the percent of second-property owners is similar across the country.