VAR Board names new CEO to start Sept. 23
04 Sep 2013
Posted by Amanda Arwood 
The VAR Board of Directors met today and voted in favor of bringing on board Terrie Suit as its new chief executive officer. Terrie currently serves as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security for Virginia. She will begin work with VAR September 23.
“Terrie embodies the leadership and visionary qualities valued in our chief executive,” said VAR President Mary Dykstra. “The Board of Directors agrees that her stellar track record in the real estate industry along with her history as a strong housing advocate makes her the right choice to lead VAR. We feel that Terrie brings experience and unique insight to the ever-changing business of real estate, making her an excellent representative of the largest trade organization in the commonwealth.”
In an e-mail notice sent out to all members today, Dykstra highlights some of Terrie’s impeccable credentials, including:
- She began her career in the real estate industry as a Realtor in 1985 before moving into real estate lending where she worked for two decades. (She currently holds a Virginia real estate license on inactive status.)
- In 1996, she was appointed to the Virginia Real Estate Board by then-Governor George Allen.
- In 1999 she was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates (representing Virginia Beach and Chesapeake), where she chaired the Virginia Housing Commission and the House General Laws Committee, and she served on the Commerce and Labor, Counties Cities and Towns, Education, Privileges and Elections, and Agriculture committees.
- While a delegate, she helped create the Virginia Fair Housing Commission and worked to protect private property rights and ensure a healthy and vibrant housing market.
- After almost nine years in the General Assembly she was appointed by Governor Bob McDonnell to chair the Governor’s Foreclosure Taskforce; she also served on his Housing Policy Advisory Committee and the Virginia Defective Drywall Taskforce in 2010.
- In 2011, Gov. McDonnell named her Virginia’s first Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security, a position she’ll hold until joining VAR later this month.
An active community leader, Terrie has served on the executive committee of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce, the board of trustees of the Lead Hampton Roads community leadership organization, the Virginia Beach Contemporary Art Center Board, and the Old Dominion University Alumni Association Board. She’s currently a member of the Navy League of the United States.
Terrie holds an associates degree from Tidewater Community College, a bachelor’s degree in political science from Old Dominion University, and is scheduled to receive her MBA from the University of Mary Washington in 2014.
“I am honored and excited to be chosen as the chief executive of the Virginia Association of Realtors,” said Suit. “I am committed to ensuring the association continues to grow as the resource and business advocate for real estate professionals in Virginia. I am looking forward to working with the Board of Directors, members, local associations, and our staff team to build on and enhance the strong Realtor voice in Virginia.”
We look forward to Terrie’s leadership and vision in the coming years. Please join us in welcoming Terrie to VAR!